Military Combat Tax Credit | Southern Minnesota

Q: I was told that I could get a military combat tax credit if I served in Iraq?

A: YES – If you served in a military combat zone in 2012 through 2015 you could be eligible for a refundable Minnesota tax credit worth $120 for each month of service.  You have only until October 15, 2016 to apply for a credit for 2012 before it expires.  You must meet all the qualifications:

1) Your home of record was MN during your months of service;

2) You served in a combat zone or a qualified hazardous-duty area anytime in 2012;

3) You received combat pay, which is exempt from federal income tax.

You need to complete form M99, and attach either your DD-214 (if you’re in the Guards, Retired or Discharged) or a copy of your Leave & Earnings Statement (if you are still Active-Duty).